Tuesday, November 13, 2018

How to Hold and Control Your Pencil

I started drawing at the age of 14 with the aim of becoming a professional artist, and as a self-taught student I did not know that the way you hold your pencil had such a great importance when it comes to improving the quality of your lines, as well as controling the shapes of your figures.

As a result, I was always holding the pencil as if I was writing, and could only manage to draw the proper way after many years, as my grip started to evolve naturally through practice.

If you are starting to draw, I would recommend you try focusing on drawing your lines using your shoulder's movement to work with your whole arm, as explained by artist Stan Prokopenko (the famous YouTube instructor known as Proko) in the following video:


What do you think of having a different pencil grip for drawing? Would you follow the video or have a different approach?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts